e-Cigarettes are have become more available in South Africa than they’ve ever been.
And many manufacturers have been marketing them as a mechanism that help smokers to quit cigarettes. But e-cigarettes are more harmful that people realize.
We’ve gathered some of the newest global research to show you exactly why e-cigarettes are more harmful than manufacturers suggest.
Here’s 10 reasons why you should steer clear of e-cigarettes:
1. Research shows that daily e-cigarette users are about twice as likely to have had a heart attack.
2. Studies show there’s a link between e-cigarette use and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases like bronchitis and emphysema.
3. e-cigarettes trigger inflammatory processes and depress immune function in lungs and are associated with kids having chronic bronchitis.
4. Two recent animal and human studies show exposure to e-cigarettes produces COPD-like changes to the air sacs of the lungs.
5. There is also evidence of genetic changes in nonsmokers who never used an e-cigarette in one session that explain these effects. These genetic changes include suppression of the p53 tumor suppressor gene, that suggests that, despite delivering lower levels of carcinogens, e-cigarettes could be increasing the risk of lung cancer.
6. e-cigarettes reach temperatures of more than 200 degrees Celsius when heated generating dozens of toxic substances, some of which are classified as cancerous to humans.
7. Scientists are worried about the safety of the toxic mixtures in e-cigarettes and are stressing the need for appropriate toxicological data on these devices.
8. Studies show that smokers who don’t use e-cigarettes to quit, are more likely to stop than those that do.
9. Young people who use e-cigarettes are much more likely to become cigarette smokers, according to one study.
10. Another study shows that young people who experiment with tobacco are likely to progress to established smoking.